Monday, May 8, 2017

DAY #36 - Our First Short Story "The Search"

The Search
by Kasyra Charman

They said I would find the answers here, that the Magician would have the answers.  So I followed their instructions.  I prayed and fasted, and followed the long pilgrims' path.  My feet ached and I was almost ready to give up when I finally came upon the portal, just as they said I would.  I fell through the thin film of reality that was stretched, shimmering across the portal frame and closed my eyes, not knowing what to expect.


When I opened my eyes I was dazzled.  The energy of the place was overwhelming.  It was bright, dark, and everything seemed to be in motion - wheels within wheels.  I spied the tail of a robe disappearing around a corner and I ran down the ramp to catch up with it.

"Excuse me, sir!"

When I got to that corner, there was nothing - no one.  Where had they gone?


I looked every direction and caught a glimpse of the robe again, but now I saw the man in it as well.

"Hello!" I called out and ran after the figure, who retreated as if he had not heard me.

I lost him again, and ascended to a different level, hoping to find him or anyone who could help me.

Reaching the top of the next level I broke into a run as soon as I saw the dark figure again, his arms raised in the midst of some conjury.  The air sizzled with the electric magic of his efforts. I did not call out, or try to be polite.  I just ran before the Magician, for that is who he clearly was, could elude me again.


When I had almost reached him, his face shielded by his hat but raised like his arms, in some sort of invocation, I panted, "Excuse me, sir, I am sorry to bother you.  I was told you could help me find my father.  Please."

The Magician startled, slowly dropped his arms.  He turned to me and took off his hat, stopping me in my tracks.  I suddenly saw the truth of it all.


"I am your father, dear," he softly said.

##

Poems and stories (2000w or less) can be submitted at the drop boxes on LEA 4, or by emailing them to caledoniaskytower at g mail (dot) com. And YES, feel free to illustrate your submissions, just as Kasyra did!

No comments:

Post a Comment